Monday, February 17, 2020

Dare Again Thoreau

"But alert and healthy natures remember that the sun rose clear. It is never too late to give up our prejudices. No way of thinking or doing, however ancient, can be trusted without proof." – Thoreau, from "Economy"












Goodbye February. The forgotten child of the litter.
You yell out by snow and never cease to accumulate.
A road plow, green grinned, jaws always bitter,
has paused across the scene of my path like bully truth.
Sleepy rooftops of white trucks shed more white mist.
I know who is passing by the sounds of the wheels insist.
All along the beltway highway, as it circles on ramps,
off ramps, four lanes, two, all seeing by auto head lamps,
I don't know the difference between my life and the road.
Sometimes I pick it up and pack it and wind a throw.
Have you noticed that the dead of winter passes unknown?
That we lose a year by the day and tomorrow is already afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment